South African Financial Sector Conduct Authority and South African Revenue Service
Our company regularly interacts and has a good relationship with senior staff of both the FSCA and SARS.
Actuaries in our company are members of the panel of approved actuaries established by the Registrar in terms of section 15K(2)(b) of the Pension Funds Act. We have been appointed by the FSCA to serve on more than a dozen Surplus Tribunals.
Our actuaries are involved in a number of activities of the Actuarial Society of South Africa (ASSA):
- Arthur Els has served as a member of the Council of ASSA, and is a past chairman of the Retirement Matters Committee of the Society. He is currently a member of the Enterprise and Financial Risk Management Committee of ASSA.
- Colin Hendriks is the chief examiner for ASSA’s pension examinations.
- Tommie Doubell is a past chairman of the Retirement Matters Committee of ASSA and has also served as a member of the Damages Committee of ASSA and of the Africa Committee. He is a member of the Institute and Faculty of Actuary’s Appeals Tribunal Panel, tasked with the professional conduct of the IFoA’s members.
- Corné Heymans is a member of the Retirement Matters Committee of ASSA.
- GJ Mellet is a member of ASSA’s Africa Committee, which looks into strengthening relationships with actuarial societies in other African countries.
- Christian Strydom is a member of the Damages Committee of ASSA.
SNG ARGEN is a member of EURACS, Europe’s oldest network of independent actuarial and pensions consultancy firms. We were the first firm accepted for membership from outside Europe. Through EURACS and the associated GLOBACS network, which links us to partner firms in the Americas and in the East, we regularly interact with actuarial colleagues across the world, to keep abreast of the latest developments.
Strategic Actuarial Partners Namibia
SNG ARGEN is a 40% shareholder in Strategic Actuarial Partners Namibia, an actuarial firm that provides actuarial services to a large portion of the Namibian market. We provide actuarial and management support to Strategic Actuarial Partners Namibia.
We currently have co-operation agreements with people or firms in Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda.